Connect with us

NHL

NHL Draft Lottery Set for Monday Night

Image courtesy of Daily Faceoff

NHL Draft Lottery Set for Monday Night

On Monday evening, the NHL will host Phase II of the NHL Draft Lottery. The second part of a two-part lottery, Phase II will feature all eight teams eliminated from the Qualifying Round of this past week’s Stanley Cup Playoff play-in holding an equal 12.5 percent chance of landing the first selection. The event will be broadcasted live at 5:00 PM central time on Rogers Sportsnet.

Included in the eight possible landing spots for the first pick are Manitoba’s Winnipeg Jets, as well as the host teams of former No. 1 overall selections Sidney Crosby (2005, Pittsburgh Penguins), Connor McDavid (2015, Edmonton Oilers) and Auston Matthews (2016, Toronto Maple Leafs). Alongside the Florida Panthers, Nashville Predators, New York Rangers and Minnesota Wild, those teams will vie for the opportunity to select consensus first overall selection Alexis Lafreniere with the No. 1 pick this October in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft.

With the original regular season standings serving as the placement determination for Phase I of the lottery, a ‘placeholder team’ earned the right to choose first overall. That placeholder was one of 16 teams competing in the play-in, where the winner of each of the Qualifying Round series moves on to the postseason, while the loser earns a 12.5 percent chance at choosing first overall.

For Winnipeg, the odds of selecting No. 1 are 12.5 percent. The odds of selecting ninth overall are also 12.5 percent (should Minnesota win the lottery). While the odds of selecting 10th overall are 75 percent. There are no other possibilities for Winnipeg. All other franchises in the running host identical stats (with variance as to original placement).

Participating teams in Monday’s NHL Draft Lottery as indicated by their placement following the COVID-19 shortened 2019-20 regular season:

  • Pittsburgh (7)
  • Edmonton (12)
  • Toronto (13)
  • Florida (15)
  • Nashville (16)
  • N.Y. Rangers (18)
  • Winnipeg (20)
  • Minnesota (21)

Carter Brooks - Associate Editor of Game On Magazine - is a news writer and sports columnist situated in Winnipeg, MB. On top of reading and writing, his favourite pastimes include camping, car-modification projects and coaching hockey. Carter can be reached at carterbrooks1994@gmail.com.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Advertisement

Must See

Advertisement

More in NHL

Limited Time Offer!
GAME ON Free
Subscription for 1 Year!

$70 value, no credit card required!

Already a subscriber? Log In

close-link