The Manitoba Moose continue to see players flock to Europe for the coming season. Although some of the attention is on members of the Winnipeg Jets that are simply picking up some playing time before the 2020-21 NHL/AHL season begins in December, some have left the organization for good.
Late this past week, it was announced that Moose defenceman Charles-David Beaudoin has opted to sign a contract with the Austrian Hockey League’s EHC Liwest Black Wings Linz. The 26-year-old blueliner had spent the past three seasons in Winnipeg, dressing for the Manitoba Moose, following an impressive career as the captain of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League’s Drummondville Voltigeurs.
His five seasons of QMJHL play saw the 6-foot, 185-pound blueliner rack up 30 goals, 92 points and 362 penalty minutes in 288 regular season games, split between his hometown Voltigeurs and the Rimouski Oceanic, to whom he was dealt near the end of his career. Beaudoin then suited up for the University of Quebec Trois-Rivieres for two seasons, where he tallied 10 goals, 34 points and 57 penalty minutes in 43 games.
Bouncing between the Moose and the ECHL’s Tulsa Oilers, Jacksonville IceMen and the Rapid City Rush, Beaudoin honed his craft as a reliable option on Manitoba’s back-end. In his time with True North, the right-shooting defender posted two goals, 16 points, 80 penalty minutes and an overall +3 rating.
in 2019-20, the EHC Black Wings went 26-17-7, finishing with the fourth-highest total point output of the 11 league teams prior to the COVID-19 shutdown. Beaudoin will look to help the Black Wings back into the Austrian Hockey League playoff picture in 2020-21.
For the Jets and Moose, a handful of players within the organization have also previously signed agreements with various clubs over the past number of days. At this point, the following players have found new homes for the coming months:
- Pending RFA forward Michael Spacek signed a one year contract with Tappara Tampere in Finland (probably will not return to the Jets/Moose).
- Ville Heinola has been assigned to Rauman Lukko for the beginning of the Liiga season.
- Joona Luoto has also joined Spacek in his hometown of Tappara. No official deal has been publicly announced.
- Andrei Chibisov has signed a three-year contract with his former KHL host team Metallurg Magnitogorsk (will not return to the Jets/Moose).
- David Gustafsson has signed with Tingsryds AIF
- Leon Gawanke is currently in negotiations with the Eisbaron Berlin Polar Bears.
- Arvid Holm has been assigned to Farjestad BK of the SHL.
- JC Lipon has recently signed with the KHL’s Dinamo Riga (will not return to the Jets/Moose).
*Other promising prospects to keep an eye on over the next few weeks are Kristian Vesalainen, Sami Niku and Mikhail Berdin.