The Manitoba Women’s High School Hockey League – in conjunction with the Riley family – has announced the McKenna Riley Memorial Scholarship Program.
This $1,000.00 scholarship will be awarded to one MWHSHL player in April at the coming year-end banquet. Applications are due on February 15, 2023.
The successful applicant must be:
- Playing within the Manitoba Women’s High School Hockey League during the current 2022-23 season
- A Grade 12 student with plans to register in a degree/diploma/certificate program in a recognized post-secondary institution for the 2023-24 season
- A successful academic student. Although not the main priority in choosing a successful applicant, grades and academic performance will be in consideration.
Important on/off-ice attributes associated with earning consideration for this scholarship include:
– Goal orientation
– A team-player mentality
– Good time management
– Willingness to learn
– A passion for hockey
Scholarship Application Requirements:
- Applicants must submit a letter of reference from a current/former coach
- Applicants must submit a letter of reference from a current/former teammate
- Applicants must submit a personal letter highlighting their career, lifestyle and experiences
- Applicants must submit their most recent high school transcript of grades
From the league:
McKenna Riley was an amazingly humble and compassionate young woman. She found beauty and peace in the outdoors. McKenna showed determination in hockey and life by setting the example of what it means to be a supportive, caring and encouraging person. McKenna’s teammates and family remember her brightening any room with a smile, kind heart, positive attitude and infectious laugh. She showed kindness with her big heart and respect for those around her.
McKenna played with the Sturgeon Heights Huskies before joining the Kelvin High Clippers, where she served as team captain in the WWHSHL. Her leadership, sportsmanlike attitude and skills were noticed upon entrance to the Manitoba Women’s Junior Hockey League. McKenna was a leader with the Silvertips throughout her time playing Junior and made significant contributions both on and off the ice.
McKenna was dedicated and excelled at the University of Winnipeg with her sights firmly set on a career as a Speech-Language Pathologist. McKenna earned her place on the Dean’s Honour List, as well as receiving an Academic Proficiency Scholarship for the 2019-2020 school year. Her family and friends loved her, and this scholarship is being awarded in her name to carry on her legacy for what the game of hockey represents: determination to set goals, live dreams and do good for others. She will always be remembered as an adored daughter, sister, friend and teammate.
To apply, click the following link:
All pertinent information is to be submitted to KLRiley9@icloud.com by February 15, 2023.